Lamnidae by This or the Apocalypse on Grooveshark

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Flickr

This weeks social media tool was Flickr. Flickr allows people and organizations connect to one another via pictures and video. This is how the tool relates to this weeks topic of organizations. Many different organizations are on Flickr. One can search through the groups tab on the page to find so many different groups to connect with.

As stated before, Flickr allows users to connect through the tools of picture and video. This is good because it potentially allows clients actually see what the product/business is like before engaging from just a reading like other sites allow. I see Flickr more for personal leisure rather than business. I say this because it has a more laid back feel and less professional. It seems like it is more for friends and family to share their lives through picture and video.

The most interesting thing I found out about Flickr is that they limit to how much content you can upload to their site. Though after a couple of pictures I was no where near the limit, I can see how this would potentially be a problem. I did think it was interesting how unpopular it seemed Flickr was. I remember hearing about it in high school and new friends who did use it, but upon trying to look up friends' profiles, they ended up deleting their profiles awhile ago.

The most challenging part of Flickr, for me, was deciding what goes on the site. I am not one to upload photos on websites since they are out there for everyone to see. I do a lot of rethinking before any photo of me goes up. On Flickr, there were not any personal photos.

I think this tool helps the communication process. Users can share photos and video so others can see what is going on in their lives. This can go both ways since there are some things that should not be shared, but for the most part, it seems to help out a lot.

Overall I feel OK about Flickr. It emphasizes on media and pushes it. Facebook is definitely its main competitor, but for what it is, Flickr does things well.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you on the fact that they would only let us upload a certain amount of photos before you were at the limit. It could be a problem for companies that have many products and want to share all of them. I guess that is how they make their money though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that Flickr is not as popular as some social media sites. I think the main reason is because its designed primarily for pictures and not necessarily socializing with others which is part of the reason I think it can hinder communication as well. Personally I only see a use for Flickr if I owned a small business and wanted to promote it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also thought that it was challenging when it came to the selection of photos and videos to put on my flicker account. This would truly be a task for a large company or popular small business. I think that Flickr is a good product for networking also and that for as big as it is it really is not that popular in our area.

    ReplyDelete