Lamnidae by This or the Apocalypse on Grooveshark

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Another Second Life Expereince


This week, my experience with Second Life helped support the social construction theory. I was just messing around the different worlds (mainly Freebie Island) and ended up near a bunch of people who were all apparently a part of a certain group. After reading their public chat logs, I found they were a group of people who all met over Second Life and meet up together regularly. This supports the social construction theory because it shows how technology has influenced friendship. From this group, there was a person from Oklahoma, another from Texas, and another from North Carolina. These were the people who I engaged in conversation with. While talking to these people, I noticed some clues to help support the SIDE Theory. The SIDE theory says that groups will create their own norms for each other. When chatting, all of these people used "text message lingo" (wut, btw, lol, u). This is laziness, to me, but in the world of the internet, it is the norm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment