Lamnidae by This or the Apocalypse on Grooveshark

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Second LIfe

1. This week's topic is cyber-culture. The activity for this week was Second Life. Second Life allows a user to create their character and essentially have a second life separate from their actual life. Second Life is set in a cyber-culture since it uses its own diction, currency, and just overall experience. Users can communicate and interact with each other.

2. Second Life, as stated before, allows users to interact with each other. Users are all over the world. During my experience, I communicated from someone in the United Kingdom. This can be good for shier people to interact with people, or just for people to meet new people in the world.

3. What I found real interesting is how open people are to communicating and having actual conversations. The most experience I have with interacting with complete strangers online is over Xbox Live, and if one knows, those conversations are not too intellectual.

4. The most challenging thing for me was to find an actual goal of this tool. I did not quite understand the point of just walking around and chatting with people. It got old quick for me. This is probably how the company gets users to pay for the premium memberships. This allows them to buy land and build buildings on their land.

5.. I think this tool helps improve communication. It helps people be more open with others in the world. Like any communication tool online though, one has to be careful who they talk to online, and what they say online since there are some not-so-good people out there.

6. Overall I was kind of disappointed in Second Life. I did not find a point of it. I liked that there were open people wanting to communicate on it, but that was not always a good thing. Some people would be extremely creepy on it. 

2 comments:

  1. I agree with what you are saying about how there is no actual goal to Second Life. It is just kind of walking around and talking to different people which does get old fast, and I bet the company does get users to pay for premium memberships to let users get more out of the "game".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the fact that you said there is no actual goal about this tool, I think many people said that the Second Life is a place to meet new people who have common interests. But I did not see it in that way because what I experienced about this tool it is just like a place to play games and explore different kind of things like walk around different sites, flying, travel by car, bus, see different entertainment places and others interesting things within Second Life. So that why I couldn't determine whether this tool is a place for entertainment or a place for interaction.

    ReplyDelete